Devotion to the Sacred Heart has been a popular devotion in the Church since a series of revelations were given to St. Margaret Mary. During those revelations, Christ asked that His Sacred Heart be a constant reminder to His disciples of the suffering He endured, as well as the love that He has for all of us, especially those who are trapped in their own sinfulness. St. Margaret Mary also spoke of what has become known as the First Friday Devotion. This devotion is centered on the Mass and its celebration on the First Friday of every month. If one goes to Mass on nine consecutive First Fridays and receives the Eucharist, God promises certain grace would arise in the lives and hearts of the faithful.
For those parishioners of St. Mary’s who have been here long enough to remember, it was often the case that the promises Christ gave to St. Margaret Mary would be printed in our parish bulletin, especially during the month of June, which is particularly set aside in honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Here are those promises as they appeared in our parish bulletin for many years:
PROMISES OF OUR LORD TO BLESSED MARGARET MARY
In favor of those devoted to His Sacred Heart
1. I will give them all graces necessary for their state in life.
2. I will establish peace in their families.
3. I will console them in all their difficulties.
4. I will be their secure refuge during life and more especially at the hour of death.
5. I will shower down abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
6. Sinners shall find in My Heart a Source and boundless Ocean of mercy.
7. Tepid souls shall become fervent.
8. Fervent souls shall rise speedily to great perfection.
9. I will bless the houses in which the picture of my Sacred Heart shall be exposed and honored.
10. I will give the priest the power of touching the most hardened hearts.
11. Persons who propagate this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, and they shall never be effaced therefrom.
12. I will grant the grace of final repentance to all those who shall communicate on first Friday, nine months consecutively. They shall not die in mortal sin, nor without having received the last Sacraments, for My Divine Heart will become their secure refuge at the last moment.